To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 4:30 pm daily.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Decatur, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Decatur hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Animal Control

Do I have to register my dog or cat?

By City of Decatur Arkansas Ordinance citizens who live inside the city limits must register their pet dog yearly. All dog that are three (3) months or older have to be registered.

Cats are not required to be registered, however to keep the feral population down, we do ask that our cat owners please consider having your cat spayed or neutered. Also, it is state law that you have your dog or cat vaccinated for Rabies.

If I have to register my dog, how much will it cost?

To register a pet dog that has been spayed or neutered, the price is $10 per pet. 

To register a pet dog that is unspayed or unneutered, the price is $25 per pet.

Where can I register my dog at?

You may come to the Decatur Municipal Building located at 310 Maple Avenue, Decatur, AR 72722 to fill out the application and receive the tag. However, please be sure to bring proof of current rabies vaccinations, and proof that the dog has been spayed or neutered.

How do I get in contact with the Animal Control Officer?

Our Animal Control Officer is Johnnie Janes and he can be reached Monday thru Friday from 7 am to 4 pm at 479-752-7235.


Does the city have an ordinance on cats?

The City of Decatur does not have an ordinance on cats.

Does the City have a TFR (Trap, Fix, Release) program?

The City does not have a TFR (Trap, Fix, Release) program. We do ask our citizens to please help us keep the feral cat population down by having your cat spayed or neutered.

Where is the animal shelter located?

Our animal shelter is located at 985 Austin Ave, Decatur, AR 72722.


Are backyard chickens allowed?

Backyard chickens are allowed within the city limits. Roosters are prohibited. The chickens must be kept within the coop or enclosure at all times, and the size of the closure must be 110 square feet. All hen enclosures shall be placed at least 25 feet from neighboring dwellings and property lines and must be located in the backyard.

Within in the 110 square feet, there must be 90square feet for a run and 20 square feet for the hen roosting area. The enclosure must be built with wire mesh of 1 inch by 1 inch openings. The enclosure must be kept in a neat and sanitary condition at all times. It must be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent odors. All food containers shall be kept in a suitable container with a tight fitting lid to prevent all rodents from accessing the feed. 

Backyard chickens are for personal use only. The selling of chickens, eggs or chicken manure, or the breeding of chickens for commercial purposes is prohibitied.

Compton Ridge

Is camping allowed at Compton Ridge Park

No overnight camping is allowed at Compton Ridge Park.

Crystal Lake

Is camping allowed at Crystal Lake?

Crystal Lake is just a day use area. There is no camping allowed.

Edmiston Ballpark

Can I reserve the concession stand pavillion for a family gathering?

Yes. You may reserve the concession stand pavillion for a family gathering as long as it is not in use for a game, or tournament.

What does it cost to reserve the concession stand pavillion?

The cost is to reserve the concession stand pavillion is $50.00 for each day rented with a refundable $150.00 cleaning deposit-deposit will be returned providing it passes inspection.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. You might check to see if your stool has been running constantly or if a faucet has been left on. Last resort is that we can always read your meter again. 

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office at 479-752-3912 extension 1 to report low pressure in your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date, or we may not have received your payment at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing a milky look.

Sanitation and Recycling

What days will my garbage be collected?

Please call city hall at 479-752-3912 to learn what day your garbage will  be collected. To check about their holiday schedule, you can call us at 479-752-3912 Option 1, or visit the following link: https://www.wm.com/us/en/holiday-schedule

Where can I recycle?

Located at the South end of City Hall (Decatur Municipal Building) are two trailers, one for cardboard, and one for recyclable items. The items are are NOT accepted are paper and plastic bags. The lids on each bin has information as to what is acceptable in that particular bin.

What time do I need to have my garbage set out for pick up?

Have your garbage set at curbside by 6 a.m. on your collection day.

Can I place big items such as mattresses, box springs, furniture, and appliances in my trash?

Mattresses, box springs, furniture and appliances  may be set out in your trash twice a year when inside city limits city wide clean events are held. There is one usually held in the Spring, and then one in the Fall.

Does the City of Decatur have a city-wide clean up?

The City of Decatur does host a city-wide clean up twice a year; Spring and Fall. The Spring clean up is typically scheduled for sometime in April, and the Fall clean up is typically scheduled for sometime in October. These events are advertised through water billing, webiste, and electronic sign located at the library. You are always welcome to call the City of Decatur at 479-752-3912 for more information on these events.

Does the Spring and Fall clean ups impact everyone who is on the Decatur Water System?

No. The clean up is only for those citizens who live inside the city limits. If you are on Decatur water and live outside the city limits, you can contact wastemanagement (https://www.wm.com/) for a dumpster, or you may contact the Benton County Convenience Center for more options of recycling/disposal services: https://www.bentoncountyrecycles.org/


What items can I set out during Spring and Fall clean up?

The following Items may be set out:


  • Chairs
  • Mattresses
  • Box Springs
  • Tables
  • Desks
  • Dressers/Chests


  • Stoves
  • Vacuums
  • Water Heaters (electric only)
  • Washer/Dryer


  • Toys/Toy Parts
  • Swingsets must be disassembled/boxes (Flattened up to 20)
  • Bicycles
  • Fake Christmas Trees
  • Tools

Items That Are Not Acceptable

  • NO Refrigerators
  • NO Tvs/Monitors/Air Conditioners
  • NO Construction/Demolition (Windows/Doors/Glass/Fencing/Sinks/Toilets/Carpet and Padding/ Dimensional Lumber)
  • NO Hazardous Waste (Wet Paint Cans/Motor Oil/ Refrigerant/ Propane Tanks/ Batteries/ Automotive Parts)
  • NO Yard waste ( Limbs/Branches/Bagged Items)
  • NO Grills

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Decatur please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.